The knee is the largest joint in the human body and that means that there is plenty that can go wrong with it. Before you can understand how to get rid of knee pain – you need to understand the pain itself.
Once you’ve got that in the bag, you can start looking for home remedies for knee pain and we’ll suggest a few on the way through for you:
Common Types Of Knee Pain
- Arthritis. Yes, arthritis affects people’s knees as well as their other joints. We’ve a lot to say about natural remedies for arthritis elsewhere on the site but we have a couple of tips specifically for taking care of your knees too. Try to keep your weight down because excess weight compounds knee problems and take regular warm baths (or even aquatic therapy) which allow you to flex the joint without putting weight on it.
- Overuse and tendonitis. Possibly the most common problem and it’s something that happens to athletes (and those in physical work) a lot. The best way to reduce the swelling in this instance is to pack the knee in ice. If it happens regularly, you should talk to your physician about specific exercises to reduce the level of recurrence.
- Muscle pain. Muscle pain is the unpleasant gift that likes to keep giving and a muscle issue around the knee often causes pain that feels like it comes from the joint itself. Muscle pain can be alleviated both through ice and through warm baths. Over time you should gently exercise the muscle but don’t push too hard, you can’t break through the “pain barrier”, you need to time to heal.
- Biomechanical issues. This is as a fancy way of saying that the way you walk and the way you sit can affect how your knees work. If you find that a specific form of activity in daily life or at the gym is triggering pain – ask someone to examine your form and correct your posture and shape. This may be one of the best home remedies for knee pain and it can be very fast acting.
- Stretched ligaments. A stretched ligament is one that hasn’t returned to its usual shape once you stop exercising. It can be very painful indeed. To reduce swelling follow the old classic, RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation). Talk to a physician about the possibility of bracing the ligament for faster healing.
- Cartilage pain. This is, possibly, the most severe common injury to a knee and if you suspect this is the problem with your knee, please talk to a doctor. You need an MRI to diagnose cartilage complaints properly and a specific exercise regime to assist with the healing process. You can’t self-diagnose this and you shouldn’t try to.
OK, so now we know how to get rid of knee pain by treating the causes of knee pain but what about reducing knee pain while we work on the causes?
One of the best natural remedies for pain is marijuana. Unfortunately, as we all know, it’s not legal in many states and even the states where it is legal have a question mark hanging over them. So, instead of marijuana why not try a natural CBD tincture substitute instead? It seems to have the same benefits as marijuana but with none of the legal consequences.